Why Roof Trusses Are a Better Bargain than RaftersSeptember 9, 2021
How To Determine Truss StrengthOctober 26, 2021
There is a great deal of discussion about the best type of framing system to use for new construction and renovation. Is it a trussed roof or stick-built rafters? The answer may surprise you!
Advantages of a Trussed Roof over Rafters
Trussed roofs hold many advantages over rafters, including:
- The strength of trusses over rafters is unquestioned. In many cases, trusses are several times stronger than rafters, even when built with less material. The secret in truss strength is in its construction. Because a truss is built with several chords that distribute stress and shear over a larger area, they tend to stand up better than rafters, which must bear all weight and shear on a single member at a time.
- Trusses are made of lightweight but strong wood and held together with metal splines. This combination makes them extremely durable and rated to last for decades. When you install a truss roof, you do not have to worry about renovating or repairing it any time in the near future.
- Trusses save builders a tremendous amount of money when compared to stick-built rafters. Some of this cost savings lies in the fact that trusses are pre-fabricated and delivered on site, ready to install. Another cost savings comes from the fact that installation of trusses is much simpler compared to the calculation and building skill required for rafters.
Trussed Roof Applications
Trussed roof systems can be used for:
- New residential construction. One of the most common applications of truss roofing systems is the building of new residential construction. New houses are almost uniformly built with truss systems nowadays to keep costs down and offer strength and long-lasting durability in construction. Buyers demand both quality and cost-savings, and a trussed roof is the way to do it.
- New business construction. Businesses also benefit from truss applications. Trusses can be created to frame almost any shape and size of roof possible, so even large businesses and warehouses can utilize truss roofing systems to save costs in construction.
- Pre-existing construction. Remodeling is a great time to add a trusses to an existing home or business. Adding trusses can not only save enormously on construction costs but can also add years to the life of an old building. With so much interest in renovating older houses these days, trusses can make it possible to stay within budget and still recover an older home and make it safe and secure.
If you are considering using trusses for your new or existing San Diego home or business, look no further than Stone Truss. We have spent decades working with home builders in this area and have supplied roof trusses for buildings of all types and sizes. Our experts are ready to work with you to create the perfect solution for your trussed roof needs. Give us a call today to see how we can help you get the roofing trusses you need to complete your next project.